- Designed from a clean sheet of paper, the all-new Ford Focus ushers in a new era for technology, comfort, space and driving experience for Europe’s mid-size car customers. New “human-centric” design for expanded line-up includes first Focus Active crossover and upscale Focus Vignale
2019 Ford (Euro-Spec) Photo Gallery
- New Stop & Go, Speed Sign Recognition and Lane-Centring technologies help negotiate stop-start traffic. Predictive curve light and Sign-based light help drivers see more clearly
- First Head-up display for a Ford model in Europe delivers greater confidence at the wheel. Active Park Assist 2 enables fully automated parking manoeuvres at the push of a button
- Standard selectable Drive Modes, 20 per cent torsional rigidity improvement and isolated independent rear suspension offering Continuously Controlled Damping – a first for Focus – keep it at the top of the class for driving dynamics and improve comfort
- All-new Focus introduces FordPass Connect embedded modem for connectivity on the move, Wireless charging pad, SYNC 3 with 8-inch touchscreen, and B&O PLAY audio
- Advanced EcoBoost petrol and EcoBlue diesel engines supported by new eight-speed automatic transmission, offering a 10 per cent fuel-efficiency improvement across the range
2019 Ford Focus Sedan Video
2019 Ford Focus Wagon Video
2019 Ford Focus ST-Line Video
2019 Ford Focus Active Video
2019 Ford Focus Vignale Video
2019 Ford (Euro-Spec) Specs and Price
|MSRP||$17,860 – $29,120|
|Power||123 – 160 hp|
|Torque||123 – 146 lb-ft|
|Drivetrain||Front Wheel Drive|
|MPG (City / Comb. / Hw.)||25 – 118 / 28 – 107 / 34 – 96|
|Tank Capacity||12.4 gal|
|Width w/o Mirrors||71.8 in|
|Length||171.7 – 178.7 in|
|Height||57.8 – 58.2 in|
Ford today delivered the global public debut of the all-new Ford Focus, the most accomplished and technically-competent Focus ever.
Following closer collaboration with customers than ever before, the all-new Focus has been developed from the ground up to provide the most confidence-inspiring, intuitive, and rewarding driving and occupant experience of any mid-size family car in Europe.
Focus introduces a new human-centric design philosophy that fuses emotional exterior styling with class-leading aerodynamics; and delivers an interior offering more space combined with high quality materials and craftsmanship.
The most sophisticated range of Ford driver assistance technologies ever offered to Ford customers is seamlessly integrated to enable an intuitive, stress-reducing and refined driving experience. Advanced technologies include:
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) now enhanced with Stop & Go, Speed Sign Recognition and Lane-Centring for effortlessly negotiating stop-start traffic
- Ford’s Adaptive Front Lighting System with new camera-based Predictive curve light and Sign-based light that pre-adjust headlamp patterns for improved visibility by monitoring bends in the road and – for the first time in the industry – road signs
- Active Park Assist 2 that now also operates gear selection, acceleration and braking to enable fully-automated manoeuvres at the push of a button
- Ford’s first Head-up display (HUD) to be offered in Europe, helping drivers focus their attention on the road ahead
- Evasive Steering Assist, a segment-first technology that helps drivers steer around stopped or slower vehicles to help avoid collisions
The all-new Focus remains true to the nameplate’s 20-year legacy of class-leading driving dynamics, further enhanced with the first Focus-application of Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) technology for the independent front and rear suspension systems; new Drive Modes; an isolated rear subframe for greater refinement; and Ford-patented spring technology.
The occupant experience is enhanced with comfort and convenience features including FordPass Connect embedded modem for connectivity on the move and a new Wireless charging pad for compatible smartphone devices.
Powertrain options include a further optimised version of Ford’s multi-award-winning 1.0-litre EcoBoost and new 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, both enhanced with Ford’s industry-first cylinder deactivation application for three-cylinder engines. New 1.5-litre EcoBlue and 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engines deliver ultimate fuel-efficiency, and a new intelligent eight-speed automatic transmission adapts shift patterns to driving style, and is controlled using a stylish and ergonomic Rotary Gear Shift Dial.
“Our all-new Ford Focus is the pinnacle of technology and driving appeal in its segment,” said Joe Bakaj, vice president, Product Development, Ford of Europe. “The chance to build a completely new car from a fresh piece of paper does not come around often. We grabbed it with both hands, to develop the best mid-size family car that money can buy.”
Unveiled in five-door hatchback, wagon and in selected markets four-door body styles, the most comprehensive Focus line-up ever is offered with exclusive personalities to complement the broadest spectrum of mid-sized car customer aspirations, including the stylish Focus Trend and Titanium, sporty Focus ST-Line, upscale Focus Vignale and the first Focus Active crossover.
The all-new Focus is the first vehicle globally to be based on Ford’s new C2 platform designed to enhance crash performance; deliver more interior space for Ford’s mid-size models without negatively impacting exterior dimensions; and support improved aerodynamics for better fuel-efficiency. Best-ever craftsmanship and quality is delivered following a €600 million investment at Ford’s Saarlouis assembly facility, Germany.
Ford has sold almost seven million Focus cars in Europe* and more than 16 million around the world since the game-changing first generation Focus was introduced in 1998.
“Focus has been our heartland in Europe for two decades. Leading the pack for design, technology and driving fun, it encapsulates everything our customers love about Ford,” said Steven Armstrong, group vice president and president, Europe Middle East and Africa, Ford Motor Company. “With mid-size family cars accounting for almost one-in-five sales across Europe last year, Focus remains as important as ever to our company and our customers, which is why we’ve put so much energy into developing an all-new model that is among the very best cars we’ve ever produced.”
The all-new Ford Focus marks an evolution in Ford design language. Created to deliver rich user experiences with every interaction, the “human-centric” design philosophy unites expressive form language with functional, customer-driven attributes.
“We wanted our all-new Focus to be a product customers fall in love with, and stay in love with,” said Amko Leenarts, director, Design, Ford of Europe. “Inside and out, our new design philosophy is about creating memorable moments of interaction that build and maintain the relationship between human being and machine.”
Focus has matured proportionally, to reflect a more premium, sporting silhouette while offering increased comfort and roominess. The distinctive new silhouette is achieved principally through positioning the A-pillars further rearward; a balanced proportion that allows them to aim towards the centre of the front wheel while the muscular sheet metal of the C-pillars sits squarely over the rear wheels. The resulting longer hood and flowing front fender, coupled to a marked reduction in the wedge of the beltline, is both powerful and elegant, enhancing the car’s premium and sporting character.
Extending the wheelbase by 53 millimetres enables a larger tyre diameter, allowing the wheels to be positioned higher into the sheet metal and reducing the perception of length and visual mass. The shorter overhangs and rearward cabin position gives a strong, dynamic stance with a compact impression.
Managing air flow around the vehicle played a pivotal role in the design development of the all-new Focus. A highly sculptural, athletic exterior delivers class-leading aerodynamic efficiency through the sleek, lower profile; the short rear overhangs; truncated corners; and harmoniously integrated aerodynamic features.
Generous in movement, the sheet metal is formed through highly tensioned, athletic sculpturing. Wide surfaces catch the light to visually entertain from front to rear. The long front fenders project with conviction towards the squat rear haunches, creating a dynamic visual agility.
The face of the all-new Focus is simple and harmonious, exuding a clear and assertive presence. A discernibly larger, yet recognisably proud Ford grille sits confidently between the horizontally-biased headlamps, which, like the taillamps, are placed as far outboard as possible to enhance width and stance.
The taillamps are now two-piece, allowing for a more versatile deck-lid opening, while LED lighting technologies provide distinctly recognisable signatures in daylight and darkness. The Focus script is positioned proudly in individual satin-finished letters between the taillamps, reaffirming the premium execution at the rear.
The all-new Focus offers a tailored spectrum of choice, with differentiating executions for Focus Vignale, ST-Line, Active and Titanium reflecting the customers’ specific preferences and needs. Identifiers include:
- The Focus Vignale “coast-to-coast” lower front aperture designed to appear more jewel-like and artisanal; and restrained Vignale ornamentation such as the satin aluminium finishes for the roof rails, fascia and rocker inserts, and signature Vignale grille mesh
- The Focus ST-Line’s more aggressively styled rear diffuser and larger functional roof-spoiler; more open front apertures designed to enhance performance and reveal the engine components behind; and bold signature ST-Line lower wing elements directing air to the air-curtain inlets
- The Focus Active with its elevated ground clearance and protective black wheel arch and rocker claddings; front and rear skid plates and rocker inserts painted in contrast silver; and bespoke front end design
A palette of 13 exterior colours includes Orange Glow, Desert Island Blue and Vignale-exclusive four-coat Dark Mulberry.
The human-centric design philosophy extends to the interior, which delivers a more inviting and accommodating environment with greater perceived quality – achieved using simple, clean lines, expressive and confidence-inspiring materials, and seamlessly integrated surfaces.
Simplified, less cluttered design supports a more calming atmosphere. Front doors now flow fluidly behind the instrument panel for a visually spacious, upmarket, wrap-around effect. The upper instrument panel and door interiors are constructed from soft touch materials for a more premium feel. Sophisticated jewellery elements reflect contemporary high-end consumer product design, with polished glass and brushed finishes among those offered for the passenger-side instrument panel deco-spear, door trims and air-vent registers.
As with the exterior, the interiors of the all-new Focus derivatives feature unique design elements and materials for a distinctive character, including fine-grain wood-effect finishes and premium leather for Vignale, sporty carbon fibre-effect finishes and red stitching for the ST-Line, and more rugged, textured materials and surfaces for the Active.
“Those ‘busy’ areas where different structures and materials meet within a space are gone,” Leenarts said. “Instead, materials are specifically chosen to better blend and complement each other, emphasising the improved craftsmanship and quality.”